Wash Off the Pandemic is an energy transfer machine built by Sally Ride Elementary School students. The idea is to represent “the new normality” in the last 13 months. The team’s members recreated a real-life situation where a child comes home after practicing alone with his soccer ball. The child of the story not only requires the face mask to not contaminate the family but also soap, paper towel, wipes, and hand sanitizer to keep hands and the ball clean of any kind of germs. All those products acquired an astronomical price due to the very high demand! All members of the team still wondering why the toilet paper disappeared even before the Pandemic crisis! 🙂 That is part of the history and it is included in this project.
Definition of Energy Transfer Machine
An energy transfer machine does what its name says; it transfers energy. It is known as the Golber machine after Rube Goldberg who made cartoons about slightly complicated gadgets and machines.
Materials Used (Quantity)
- Soccer ball (1)
- Face Mask (30)
- Electric wire (4)
- 1.5 V Battery (2)
- Electric switch (1)
- Toy car (1)
- Domino pieces (51)
- Empty Paper towel roll (1)
- Empty toilet paper roll (1)
- New toilet paper roll (2)
- Clorox wipes container (1)
- Lysol container (1)
- Hand sanitizer (1)
- Gears and lego parts (6)
- Wet Wipes package
- Tissue box (1)
- Tape roll (2)
Adelina – Alex – Brendon – Enmanuel- Kensleigh – Neil – Sasha
Purpose of Mechanism
The purpose of this machine is to dispense hand sanitizer in a silly but unique long way.
Our machine starts with a child going inside after practicing soccer who wants to sanitize her hands.
- Put the ball down in a bag. The stored chemical energy of the human body is transformed into mechanical energy or movement.
- The ball weight flips a switch. Mechanical energy is a transfer from one object to another, due to the gravitational/ weight force.
- The switch turns on the electric gear mechanism and it rotates. Mechanical energy into electrical, into mechanical energy transfer
- The pole attached to the gear releases the car. Mechanical energy releases the car. The potential energy of the car is transformed into mechanical.
- The car hits the glove that hits the first dominoes piece. the mechanical energy goes from the glove to the first piece of dominoes. The package of blue face masks will stop the car from going to the second set of dominoes pieces.
- The dominoes pieces are close enough to produce the repeated effect of pieces falling down, one after the other. The mechanical energy goes from one piece to another, 51 times.
- The loose arm transfers mechanical energy from one domino’s piece to another.
- The dominoes piece hits the jumbo piece attached to the card that holds the school bus. mechanical energy from the jumbo piece to the school bus.
- The school bus hits the Clorox container that rolls down helped by the gravity. The potential energy in the bus’s mechanism was transformed into kinetic energy when the bus started moving. This mechanical energy was transferred to the Clorox wipes container.
- The plastic Clorox container hits another set of dominoes pieces, transferring this way its mechanical energy to the first piece, and this one to the second, and so on, unit the last piece of the second set.
- The last piece in the dominoes set lightly touches the metal ball transferring the energy that it needs to break the inertia. To keep the ball in place, in a balanced system, we used toilet paper. The mechanical energy provided by the dominoes piece and the gravitational energy make the ball slowly roll down,
- The ball goes through a face mask to finally hit very hard the head of the hand sanitizer thanks to the Earth’s gravity the mechanical energy is transferred from the ball to the hand sanitizer pump mechanism.
- The hand sanitizer is pumped out and the child can clean at least her hands!
We tried this mechanism more than a hundred times. We finally did it, but Wash Off the Pandemic is definitely not an easy task! We all need to work as a team, wear our masks, keep our social distancing, and of course, get vaccinated! Together we can do it!!
This website and its content was approved by Ms. Berriz.